Old 28-06-2005, 10:40 PM
ned

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Bevan Price" mynameATTTTfreeukDOTTTcom wrote in message

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in

message
GWR used to issue a green card that permitted approved

botanising along
railway land. I can only remember that we were warned not to

stand
between
the rails when trains were coming! Very few cards were ever

issued. Many
plants grew there that were missing or rare elsewhere.
Motorways look even more promising and I cannot believe the

biology
of
these verges is totally forbidden~ without some form of approved

access
somebody knowledgeable. Nowhere else is there land that remains

ungrazed
and
undisturbed for such long periods.
Can anyone advise?
Best Wishes Brian.

But that was before we had the HSE, and company lawyers afraid

that the
company might be sued for damages if you accidentally hurt

yourself on
railway property.

Bevan

~~~~~~~~~
I accept all the reservations mentioned but surely some

botanists must
have access or the plants involved would not have been recognised.

It must
be that highways and railways have their own approved botanists.
If something cannot be seen and isn't noted ~~ then does it

really
exist?!

'Can't speak for anywhere else but, Lincs has some 60 odd "Protected
Roadside Verges", a scheme run by the Lincs Wildlife Trust and the
Lincs Co. Council Highways dept.
Again, I can't say whether any are bordering 'major' roads but all are
surveyed and reported on annually at least.
And yes, they do harbour many interesting plants. I counted 217
orchids on one this very day.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk