Old 29-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Treedweller

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:41:38 GMT, "Cereus-validus....."
wrote:

There is a book called a dictionary, Treedhole.

Check it out and look up the actual definitions.

As a well-informed gardener, I am surprised, shocked even, that you
are not familiar with this term in this context. Perhaps you are only
pretending because you couldn't find anything surly to say in another
thread?

The precise definitions aside, a cutting takes part of a plant and
turns it into a genetically identical copy of the original. That's
close enough to cloning for me.

If I ever get a job in a DNA lab, I'll note your objections.

PS, just to satisfy my curiosity, I did go to
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clone
where I found multiple entries that support the usage of "clone" as
reproducing a plant from cuttings. What dictionary did you use? The
Scientists' Big Dictionary for Nitpicking?