Old 29-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Anna MCM

Ray wrote:
Time to jump back in after a marvelous week soaking up the rays at the NC
Outer Banks...

According to orchidspecies.com, the genus was named after an Italian, Dr. A.
M. Brassavole. How would that be pronounced in Italian?

Hi!

I'm not Reka, but I'm Italian :-)
There's no real 100% rule for Italian surnames accent (my own surname
gets often misread).
I say BrassAvola since it sounds more "natural" to me, but I can't
totally exclude BrassavOla, expecially if Dr Brassavole was from
Southern Italy (it sounds somewhat as a Southern Italy surname, but I
don't know for sure).
I made a research and the surname must be really rare, since there are
no Brassavole or Brassavola on the Italian phone directory.

All the best!

Anna Maria