Old 29-06-2005, 09:31 AM
a.c.

Default carnivorous plants

I've recently acquired insect eating plants. (1 Dionea
muscipula--venus fly trap & 1 sarracena pururea---bog plant) There
seems to be quite a lot of google entries concerning their water
requirements, but what I'm looking for is more on the lines of just
what can they eat and how much of it?
I mean, what with the hot weather n all, we have to stuff the chicken
leftovers into the freezer until bin day to prevent us from having a
stinky dustbin. So, just how many such plants would I need to save
freezer space (& save electricity, thereby aiding the enviornment)
Like, how are they on chicken bones? Or the fat from a slice of ham?
Just wondering.
Back to flies. The venus fly trap could best be described as slow to
catch. I have to swat the flies first to stun them. Place on trap and
wait for fly to wiggle, but sometimes it wiggles and has walked-out
before the trap closes in.
I guess I'd have to take a mallet to the chiken bones first.