Old 29-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
writes:

| I'm looking for advice on whether my idea for clearing my back garden
| of weeds in feasible.

Chris Bacon says no, and I agree.

| Having left the garden for two years whilst the house has been
| extended, we are now ready to remodel the garden. As you can imagine it
| is now overgrown with all sorts of weeds and at around 150 square
| metre's I'm not going to do it by hand! So in order to bring back
| the garden into some kind of state where I can start gardening it
| properly, I've devised a cunning plan.

The last words of a great many people :-)

It depends slightly on the sort of weeds, but it is always better
to cut them down first and dispose of the residue. 150 square
metres of herbaceous weeds would take only a few hours with a
sickle, but the same area of two year old brambles and tree
saplings might take a weekend. A person used to the job would
do it a lot faster, of course.

You could hire a strimmer for the latter, but you might need one
with a metal blade, and they can remove your foot if used
carelessly. Don't bother with the cheap electric ones with
plastic string, as they are a complete waste of time.

After having burnt, composted or green binned the residue, let
the area green up, and THEN hit it with glyphosate. Possibly
twice, with a month between. There is little point in using
that either on mature weeds or on the place where they were.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.