Old 29-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Rolling Thunder

On 29 Jun 2005 10:00:59 -0700, "icius" wrote:

Well, I spoke too soon! I left to get my kids at preschool and when I
returned there were 12!...count 'em 12! Japanese Beetles decimating one
of the roses. They work so fast!! I think they laid eggs too or
something. Arrrggghhh!

I guess it is time to give up the idea of physical removal of pests and
resort to some kind of spray. If there is a natual kind of solution to
the Japanese Beetles, Aphids and worms that would be great. If not
then I will take suggestions for chemical pesticides.

Glad I took a picture.

I don't know how you folks with actual rose gardens do it. I have
spent so much time worrying over this one plant I can't imagine having
a whole bunch.

There isn't anything I could find that kills Japanese beetles once
they're in the adult stage. You can try Neem oil to keep them off
the plant. The oil makes the plant taste bad for the beetle and
they'll go on to other plants. To really kill them, you need to get
'em during their grub stage in the ground. There are several sprays
for the ground that will kill the grubs but also the good things like
worms. And then, if your neighbors don't do the same thing,
you'll continue to have the ravages of the beetles from about
mid-June through July. You can try hand picking them off and
disposing or use Sevin or such too when they are in the
adult stage. You'll have to spray every day though, to my
experience.

Hang in there, they will be gone by late July. That will be
when to spray the ground for the grubs and there after until
late fall.

Thunder