Old 29-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
carelessly. Don't bother with the cheap electric ones with
plastic string, as they are a complete waste of time.

I've got one of those and it's good for grass but anything woody does snap
the 'plastic string' a lot. I wonder though - what's to stop me taking the
plastic string off, rewinding it with something stronger like galvanised
straining wire and using it like that?

Common sense and self-preservation?

The resistance encountered by the wire on heavier material would
probably burn out the motor. If it didn't, you wouldn't want a little
bit of high-velocity wire breaking off on a hidden stone and meeting
your bod.

Janet.