Old 29-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Roy

Jan, interesting theory there.

Last year when I had massive algae blooms I was told by AUM (Auburn
University) and the Universtiy of Florida to dose my pond with PP,
to rid it of excessive nutrients. Any remaining junk after the second
dose if a second dose was needed would essentially be inert and add
little to no nutrient value to future algae blooms.......dunno if its
true or not, but thats what I was told by them.

I know my floaters like Sensitive Fern and frog bit had so much algae
built up on them you could not see the hair roots, and my lilys and
other plants had massive amounts of algae on their stems and
leaves...After my PP treatment the roots were like they were just
washed and totally free of any algae or otehr junk. It did take two
doses, but those 2 doses were a headstart in what my pond looks like
now, which has better than 36 inches of super visibility and in the
south in a natural pond this is almost unheard of especially when it
sets in full sun all day, and is filled by runoff and rainfall. I
would think a good filtration system would catch all the oxiidized
junk in a filtered pond, or it would settle out in a settlement
chamber, after a PP dose and not add much to a future algae
bloom....Just my perspective from what I have experienced.

Regards

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:54:53 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:38:09 GMT, (~Roy~) wrote:
===
===I dunno about others but 30 PPM has always worked fine for me, as long
===as there was not any fish or other critters that I wanted to survive
===the doseing. It does a bang up job of cleanin gup everything and
===anything at that rate
===
===Odds are though if your not fighting a prtoblem as far as fish health
===is concerned, the standard 2 ppm dose applied to the entire pond and
===fish will do it all a bit of good, and probably reduce your nutrient
===load and knock off the algae as well.
===
===I don't recommend it in the pond for an algae problem, as it would be just
===like an algaecide. Killing it just creates more food for the next problem
===which could be worst.
===
===As far as knocking it off the roots in a separate bucket, I add enough to
===make the water a nice pretty purple... or iows, I've never measured, but it
===takes very little, depending on how big your bucket is. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

"The original frugal ponder"