Old 01-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Geoff P

Default Small sit-on mower advice, please?

We have had about three ride-on mowers over seventeen years - all different
makes and each one has good and bad aspects. Whatever you do don't get a
mower that had a tube fitting (either behind the cutting deck or just
adjacent) that the grass has to travel through to get to the collection
box - it always clogs even in slightly damp weather. Also check the turning
circle - you might have to redesign various borders to allow for a clean
sweep (cutting inner circles are difficult). The other problem I have had
is that whatever mower you choose don't forget to allow for the fruit tree
branches to hang lower in the late summer or autumn - I have nearly beheaded
myself several times and whatever you do don't wear a jacket with a hood, it
catches on the overhanging branches and pulls you backwards.

Apart from that we wouldn't be without ours - we even have a small trailer
to move large items and our grass is only two thirds of an acre and takes
about one and a half hours. With a decent collector the leaves are no
problem, just cut on the same or a higher cut and they will finely chop them
up which helps compost quicker.

Hope this helps

Steph Power

"Douglas Jones" wrote in message
I'm looking for a sit-on mower for about a half-acre of lawn - or more
correctly grass - fairly flat but not in great condition, and the
Mountfield 1228M and 1228H seem to be available at a reasonable price.

But
are they any good? I've read the other e-mails here on Mountfield, but

they
all seem to be about the push or power mowers.

A possible alternative for the same price range would be the Stiga - I

think
called a "Garden Combi" - any comments on this one?

I've had electric and petrol power mowers before, but no experience yet on
sit-ons, and would appreciate any advice you can give me.