Old 29-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Neil Tonks

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
keith ;-) wrote:
I am growing red baron & stuttgarter giant?.Do you have to wait

until
the leaves have started to die back,bend them over lift and dry.Or
can you just pick the decent sized onions straight from the ground
when needed & straight in to the kitchen to use?
Sorry if this is a stupid Q ,first time veg grower here!

Onions are only 'ripened' in the way you describe in order to extend their
keeping qualities. If you need onions for cooking and have some in the
garden of a suitable size, then use 'em!

No gardening question is ever stupid...with the possible exception of
"Do you fancy a bite of this apple?" My turn: is there anything in
this practice of bending over onion tops? I can't see it, myself.

I never bend over onion tops either - it's supposed to hasten the end of
active growth and thus start the 'ripening' process but as far as I can see
all it does is bruise the stem and make it easier for decay to set in! The
tops will lie down of their own accord when the onion's natural growth
period comes to an end.

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk