Old 29-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Mike Lyle

Rod wrote:
On 29 Jun 2005 06:22:24 -0700, "flowerpot"

wrote:

I just picked some because the pods were horizontal on the plant,

but
inside the beans are the same size as peas.

Soon they'll start to droop below the horizontal and they'll be

ready,
just open a sample pod now and again to get 'em how you like 'em.

When
you pod them and the beans come away, look at the scar where

they've
come away - if its going black you've left them too long, they'll

be
tough.

OK, so does anybody know what my Sicilian grandfather (born 1860 if
you can believe it) probably did when he made what my mother
describes as a delicious sauce for pasta with, as far as she can
remember, little but broad beans? I got some dried broad beans in the
local Asian delicacy emporium, and couldn't do anything striking with
them. Elizabeth David, though in other respects a clearer candidate
for canonisation than some I could name, is no help.

--
Mike.