Old 30-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Brendy wrote:
kate7 Wrote:
it's a spruce tree Kate

In that case, knock it off as soon as you like, please: it doesn't
fit our ecosystem or our aesthetic very well.. And no, it won't
regrow from the base. Or if it does, you've probably got an
interesting cultivar which may or may not be worth propagating.

However, the roots may get in the way.

If you cut the tree down and *THEN* try to remove them, you're making a
lot of extra work for yourself.

If it's a big tree, my advice would be to cut off the lower branches so
you can work under it, attach a rope to a solid bit of trunk as high as
you can, then dig round and cut as many roots as you can find. A sharp
spade usually suffices, but a big tree might need a mattock to do the
job.

Then just pull the tree over and the roots will come out on the end of it...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/