Old 30-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Dr_No

So increased CO2 will reduce algae problems?

I will be running 2x125W Mercury Vapour Pendants so approx 2W/G
Tap water is fairly hard so I dont think pH will swing too much

"djay" wrote in message

"Dr_No" no wrote in message ...
I'm in the process of setting up my 150 gal tank. Looks like my funds
wont stretch to a presurised CO2 setup so i am wondering if DIY soda
bottle/yeast CO2 systems can work with a tank this size?

I plan to use a powerhead into a gravel vac with bioballs/sponge to
disolve the CO2 so it should be pretty efficient at using what CO2 I get.

How many 2l bottles would I need?

Thanks

I don't recommend DIY for this size tank. You WILL have algae problems if
you have 2W/G.

But if you DO decide to DIY then I recommend the 64 OZ plastic juice
bottles. Larger base and larger lid made it easy to fill with ingredients
and harder to tip over. You'd need about 3 or 4 of them to get any decent
CO2 production.

The problem with DIY is consistent production and with the peaks and
valleys in DIY your PH may (WILL) swing wildly.

HTH,

Djay