Old 30-06-2005, 02:46 PM
David Bockman

(JW) wrote in
:

"Daniel" dcxdan AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

I once in a while read in gardening books that certain plants should
have "course builder's sand" mixed into the potting soil. Does
anyone know what it is, and where to buy it. I have looked at places
like Home Dept and Lowes with no luck. Is such stuff found in
building supply stores?

Possibly British books? Builders sand IS the sand that is available
at any builders merchant/yard.. Probably your Home Depot or our B&Q or
Homebase..

Its medium to course grained & used for mix in sand/cement mixes
(concrete) and is usually relatively untreated (compared to say,
washed sands or 'silver' play sands)

JimW

Several people have mentioned avoiding 'play sand' or 'sandbox' sand
because it is beach sand and far too fine, however the real danger is the
sodium content of such sand, if it was collected from a coastal area.

'Builder's Sand', 'Blasting Sand' etc. is all good stuff and can be found
in the masonry area of any BORG store (Big Orange Retail Giant)

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums