Old 30-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Roy

I seen an online ponst where an individual made some nice underwater
lights form automotive sealed beams.....He used a cardboard box or
plastic container as a form and after he wiredup and sealed his wiring
connections, placed the headlingt bulb assembly in the form and poured
a slurry of sakrete in and around it to give it a brick shape and add
weight. Looks good and provides a heap of light. Cheap and easy enough
to make, but he considered it a one time deal as when the bulb burne
dout he intended to cut the cord close and reuse cord on another light
assembly. I had lights made similar but used old round type headlamps
that were not halogen and they do work great even non halogen types,
but they throw a yellowish cast in th water due to the type of
filament n the bulb as compared to the whiter light made by
halogens........Typical halogen headlamps are cheaper than the under
water lights but equal a lot more wattage and diffusion.

You can substitute a 35 or even a 50 watt bulb in those HF lights if
your water is relatively cool and its totally submerged. instead of
near the top......The wire gauge is heavy enough for the increased
load. I can't really recomend it, but, I have 4 of those HF lights
with 50 watt or 35 watt halogen bulbs in them and they show no signs
of overheating or deforming at all and have been working just fine
since I changed their bulbs.......The extra wattage allowed me to
place them deeper than normal and still get sufficient light

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:54:03 -0700, jc wrote:

===The harbor ones aren't bright enough for me. I bought a rectangular
===high beam headlight from Kragen and glued it to a brick, hooked up
===some wire to it, sealed the wire with some roofing goop, stuck it in
===the bottom under some flagstone, aimed it and hooked it to a 50w
===Malibu timer/transformer. It works great.

"The original frugal ponder"