Old 02-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Anne Wheeldon

Default Autumn pruning

"Carol Russell" wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Carol Russell Russells@
queenborough42.freeserve.co.uk writes
But have you seen the results of trials of late which show that many

shrubs
respond better to a light sheering over HT roses included.

Yes, I agree that can be the case with some shrubs, and we sometimes do
light pruning, or even leave certain plants unpruned if they don't seem
to need it.

Well I belong to the school of thought: get your worst enemy to prune your
roses. I've just savagely attacked my climbers this afternoon. Mind you I
had to be able to get at the arches etc underneath so I could paint the
wood; I'm not normally quite so vicious. Anyway they hadn't had a decent
prune for 2-3 years, just the tidy up with the shears and frankly there was
a lot of dead wood etc that needeed to come out.

Anne