Old 01-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Srgnt Billko

"cjames4999" wrote in message

Help!! I recently cleared by strimmer a garden that has been left to
grow for 18 years, there are 12" ant hills all over it together with
brambles, and other vegitation. It is all laying flat after being
strimmed, what is the best way to proceed with trying to achieve a
lawn?? rake,burn or just cultivate/rotovate and plough in all the
downed (strimmed) vegitation . p.s. It is a very large garden

Please help!!

Craig.

"Large" is not descriptive enough. Some people think my 1200 sg ft garden
is big but my father's was over an acre. It makes a difference. If you cut
it with a string trimmer I assume nothing was very large in diameter (the
branbles ?) but, from what I gather, I would still rake it off rather than
try to till it in. If it is an acre or more I would probably plow (if you
have at least a 14" moldboard). I have plowed some stuff in but then you
eventually have to disc it or till it to smooth out the furrows. I then
use some old chain link fence (weighted down) to drag over it with my garden
tractor to smooth it even more.