Old 30-06-2005, 09:29 PM
simy1

it is possible that, because this is the first year they are fruiting,
you are going to have a grace period before the moths find your
orchard, but don't coun t on it. The rule of thumb for grown trees is
to have one fruit for every 25 leaves, so pick off the excess fruit and
hope you can enjoy the rest. Given the youth of the trees, perhaps you
can go down to one fruit per 30 to 50 leaves, on the other hand it
sounds like the trees are developing nicely, so I see nothing wrong
with enjoying a little fruit this year. I am against pruning branches
this early in the game, it is wasteful.