Old 01-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Donald Gares

Default gladiolus falling over....why?

Ok, we planted about a zillion gladiolus bulbs (cheap at Menards) this
spring and to our surprise they most all came up. The problem is that
they got VERY tall (some almost 5 feet) and most have fell over before
they were even totally in bloom. In short, it just seems like they at
"top heavy".

Did we not plant them deep enough, do they need fertilizing, cheap
bulbs, etc., or is it just the nature of them?

Also, any chance they will make it over winter in extreme SE Iowa (zone
5)? We know that the books say that you must dig them but as cheap as
they are we seriously doubt if most individuals do.

Thanks to all who reply,

Don & Rhonda