Old 30-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Brian

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
I've just paid a visit to the Local Tastes shop in Thame
(www.localtastes.co.uk for anyone interested). I'd never come across it
before but, having done some Googling, I've learnt it's considered
pernicious. Shame really, because it's really rather tasty and I certainly
wouldn't want to see it eradicated.

What I /am/ curious about, however, is why the heck is it called Fat Hen?!
It can't mean 'fat hen' as in, well, 'fat hen', surely?! What's it got to

do
with domesticated fowl if that's the case...? Are they rather partial to

it
and does it make them tubby...? Enquiring minds demand to know! ;o)

Sarah

In the middle ages this was a valued crop plant grown/allowed to
grow for its leaves and grain. So much so that it is described as a
domesticated weed~~ as much as a dog is a domesticated wolf etc.When other
grains were plentiful these seeds were thought only good enough for
chickens~~ on which they thrived~~~Hence 'Fat Hen'. It grows well in sugar
beet fields as it is similarly, selectively, resistant.
Best Wishes Brian.