Old 30-06-2005, 11:29 PM
david taylor

The pods can be eaten like runner beans before the beans are mature. Tops of
broad beans are also edible. The pods do not develop parchment until quite
late on and the white furry interior is lost in the cooking,so the whole pod
can be eaten when the beans inside are pea sized. This is a useful way of
extending the yield and harvesting season of the plants.
I find beans cooked in this way are delicious. My wife and children used to
like them but Jen has gone off them in old age(sic!) as the pods have a
taste slightly reminiscent of the flower scent.
Regards
David T.