Old 01-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Brian wrote:
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
I've just paid a visit to the Local Tastes shop in Thame
(www.localtastes.co.uk for anyone interested). I'd never come across
it before but, having done some Googling, I've learnt it's considered
pernicious. Shame really, because it's really rather tasty and I
certainly wouldn't want to see it eradicated.

What I /am/ curious about, however, is why the heck is it called Fat
Hen?! It can't mean 'fat hen' as in, well, 'fat hen', surely?!
What's it got to do with domesticated fowl if that's the case...?
Are they rather partial to it and does it make them tubby...?
Enquiring minds demand to know! ;o)

Sarah

In the middle ages this was a valued crop plant
grown/allowed to grow for its leaves and grain. So much so that it is
described as a domesticated weed~~ as much as a dog is a domesticated
wolf etc.When other grains were plentiful these seeds were thought
only good enough for chickens~~ on which they thrived~~~Hence 'Fat
Hen'. It grows well in sugar beet fields as it is similarly,
selectively, resistant. Best Wishes Brian.

Thank you, Brian. *Finally* /somebody/ answered my question! ;o) eg