Old 01-07-2005, 03:05 PM
tvrchimaera tvrchimaera is offline
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default New raised bed

Im new here, so firstly...Hello to all.

Being new to vegetable growing I thought it best to ask some advice before I start digging.
I have an 8ft x 6ft area to work with. I was thinking of a 8ft x 4ft bed so I can easily reach from each side.

1. How deep should I make the bed and should I dig into the current soil or build this bed on top and use a liner as I have seen suggested elsewhere?

2. Are there any types of treated timber I should avoid or is this the reason of using a liner?

3. When should I prepare the bed for planting out next year.

4. What topsoil / manure / compost combination should I use to fill it?

5. Know of any good books to stop me asking what may be obvious questions?

Kind Regards
Brian