Old 01-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Scott Coutts

Cereus-validus..... wrote:
Taxonomy circles?
What's that?
A group of old ladies that sits around doing taxonomy?

Umm... whatever you reckon.

According to the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature, a plant can
have only one correct name.

That doesn't mean that others are not commonly used. You'll find both
listed in most places as synonyms. I think it may actually be an old
scientific name for the plant.

Many plants are sold with the wrong names in the horticultural trade. That's
not taxonomy. That's laziness.

I didnt say it was correct, incorrect, lazy or otherwise. I simply said
that both of them are commonly used, and given that this person was
looking for the plant, then I'd say a commonly used name is better than
a technically correct name.