Old 30-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
Last evening I was sitting in the garden
admiring my wife's handiwork when our cat growled. I heard what seemed to

be
cats mewing. I looked up and
saw two buzzards soaring and crying to each other. Superb.
Tom Atkinson

~~~~~~
We have too~~ They will not remain much longer, however, as they've
totally finished the local songbirds. Even the Wrens were pulled out of the
hedge/bank.

That sounds more like sparrowhawks. Buzzards are too unwieldy in
flight to catch small birds on the wing or hopping about in hedges
(unlike sparrowhawks who can manouevre at high speed even in copses).
We've always had a lot of buzzards around and they make no noticable
impact on smaller bird numbers at all. IME they mostly catch small
mammals, more or less by crashlanding on them :-)

Janet