Old 01-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Mike Lyle

datsy wrote:
Be warned though, they can grow tall and they spread out about 3
feet in all
directions, given a chance. This is quite a lot of real estate in

small room.

Tell me about it!!

My mother's, watered very lightly but regularly, and never fed, now
has three root systems in three big pots, with ordinary garden soil.
It's hit the top of her conservatory, and is about to invade Poland
and Czechoslovakia. In fact I don't think a conservatory is the best
place, as I believe they are forest undergrowth plants: it's
noticeable that the leaves which receive direct sunlight get browned
off. I'd say give it light but not sunshine -- at least one of us has
already mentioned success with one in quite a shady place.

I can't remember if my mother's has ever flowered, but I have a
feeling it hasn't. I don't know why this would be, but I suspect it
may be because of the variable temperatures often found in
conservatories, and lack of potash in the exhausted soil.

--
Mike.