Old 01-07-2005, 06:34 PM

Tony said: "......... attempt to breed guppies"

Believe me, you do not need to try! Most people "attempt" to stop them!

You really don't need to worry about places for them to hide, in fact in my
experience it is better to have a fairly bare tank. The problem is that they
WILL breed, the fry WILL grow and they WILL breed again which is not
desirable as the fry of the fry will be inbred with all of the problems that
entails. You need to allow the fry to grow for a while, just until you can
pick the males from the females and SEPERATE them into different tanks
(hence the bare tank to help you getting them out!). You then need to find
either a market for them or a number of very large tanks! Quite honestly,
the initial interest and excitement of breeding guppies soon diminished in
my case when I ended up with so many fish and so many tanks in so short a
time!

I don't intend to put you off but just to warn you that if you want to do
this you need to plan ahead!

Good luck

Mark