Old 01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Kitsune Miko

This is a mixed forum of experts and other folks with varying levels experience. Yes, we do discuss bonsai. There are times we disagree. You have to find a local source for information specific to your area.

On seeds: We had a beginner last month ask the same question. I just read some new books and magazines from Bonsai Today. If you are very dilligent and feed your seedlings in a specific manner, you can have a decent tree in about 5 years. If you don't want to wait that long, then buy some nursery stock, or do some of both.

On nursery stock: There are features in nursery stock that you cannot change. The thing to for look for first is nebari, or how the roots spread out from the base. You want to style both roots and branches as if they were embracing you rather than pointing a finger at you (or eye poking as the Japanese say). Look at trunk shape. Does it have an intereting line. On most plants, especially elms, you can worry about branches later.

Check out the IBC archives.

Kitsune Miko (who is not japanese)

Technium wrote:
Many years ago when I was very young I decided I had to have a bonsai
and with my first Months wage packet I went and purchased 6 or 7 bonsai
trees and after a few weeks there was nothing left. I was young and had
no idea and now im old and have no idea but want to try to get into
keeping bonsai now that im alot more responsible and the first thing to
do is find a decent forum so I can discuss issues, questions, problems
with people who know what im talking about.

Is it best to buy some seeds and start from scratch, or should I
purchase nursery trees that are apparently 8 years old? Ive heard Elm
is the best for beginners, is this correct, should that be my choice?

Im in the UK down south coast if that makes any difference to my
choices.

Thanks for looking and remember everyone has to start somewhere.

cheers

Technium

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++