Old 01-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Timothy

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:09:55 -0700, Daniel_B wrote:

Hello, I live in N. ILL. and have these weeds in my lawn. I never noticed
them before until this year because there weren't that many of them. This
spring has been very dry here and I have some white birch trees in the
yard that I have been watering. There is now a large patch of them
(Broadleaf plantain)under and inside the drip line of the trees I have
been watering. I started to remove them by hand, removing all the roots,
but decided that it would take quite some time to get them all out. I
wanted to use a herbicide but almost all of the ones in the hardware store
say not to use on weeds that are inside of the drip line of trees. I did
try one that didn't have that warning. Weed B Gone Max. It has been a few
days and the weeds are not even wilting. Luckily the patch of weeds is
small enough so after I get rid of them I will only have to re-seed that
small area.
The rest of my lawn seems to be free of them because I haven't watered it.
Am letting it go dormant until good rains come back. Thanks for any
information in ridding my lawn of these pesky weeds. Dan.

Good day Dan. I'm assuming that you used the hose-end applicator to apply
the weed-b-gone..? If so, then this could be your issue. Hose-end
applicators are terrible at metering the chemicals which makes the
application really hit and miss. There are other real, inheriant dangers
with hose-end applicators.... but I'll save that rant for later.

For weed b gone to be effective, the weeds need to be _actively_ growing.
Seeing that you lawn is going dormant, I would assume that most everything
is going dormant for the summer drought. Even though your watering the
area, the growth rate is slowing down. With that said, you could expect
results with in 3 to 5 days with final results with in 3 to 4 weeks with
slow growth.

I would suggest that you get the concentrate of weed b gone and a tank
sprayer. 1 gallon will do 500+ feet of coverage, so a gallon will spot
spray a large area. I would also suggest that you wait to re-apply the
weed b gone untill the end of summer. The chemical will be more effictive
when the lawn comes back from being dormant. This will also be a great
time to overseed the thin areas of the lawn and fertilize. Raise the mower
hight to 2 1/2 to 3 inches to help the lawn fight off the weeds. Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://ywgc.com/resources.html