Old 03-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Amber

Default leaves and small black flies

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.207...
"Carol Russell" wrote in
:

"Amber" wrote in message

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
Any ideas about small black flies that have gone on some plants on
the kitchen window (thought they were 'bar' flies but then they
are now all
over
the room I moved them to)? There seems to me loads of them.

They may be Sciarid fly (fungus gnat), maggots feed on roots, if so a
soil drench may be needed.

I think that's what these are.

Giving the compost a mulch of fine gravel over the top works for me. They
only live in the top few millimeters of soil, and if they can't get to
that, they can't breed.

Last night I gritted the plants as suguested, including one that seems to
have picked up a few flies from being near to the originally infected
plants. This second plant I had in a tub of water to water it and this am
the water is a fly graveyard. I have now moved all the infected plants into
the bath with water as these seem to travel far and with only one room to
over Winter plants I can do without these spreading. I am presuming that
with the mint I need to try and get as much grit all under the plant esp in
the bit thats all spready?

The plant that was not part of the oringinal infectiona few days before one
of the bist growing out of the soil just fell off like the roots had rotted,
I presumed I had over watered it. I actually need to find out what kinda
plant is is cos its a present and I don't want to kill it!