Old 01-07-2005, 07:12 PM
KerplunKuK

Reel Mckoi wrote:
A baby red-eared slider moved into our netted pond this summer. He
basks on the rocks
since he can't get to the soil around the pond. He's too big to get
through the net now to leave, not that he/she seems to want to leave.
What happens when winter comes? Do these sliders spend the winter on
the bottom of the pond or do they need access to soil outside the
pond to bury themselves for the winter? I found a lot of interesting
information about sliders on Google but nothing about where they
spend the coldest winter months. We don't him to die in the winter.
Anyone....?

My sliders hibernate at the bottom of the pond. Make sure there is some
substrate there for him to bury himself in. On nice winter days he will
come out to bask. Make sure he is well fed prior to the winter. Our temp
here generally gets down to -8C at the worst and my three survive happily.

Scott
--
XBL : D0C RAY

We'll be Gunning for you