Old 01-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

That sounds more like sparrowhawks. Buzzards are too unwieldy in
flight to catch small birds on the wing or hopping about in hedges
(unlike sparrowhawks who can manouevre at high speed even in copses).
We've always had a lot of buzzards around and they make no noticable
impact on smaller bird numbers at all. IME they mostly catch small
mammals, more or less by crashlanding on them :-)

Hares are all but extinct (or totally, maybe) on the Isle of Lewis and
Harris because of buzzards.

What makes you think it's due to buzzards?

And the sheep, of course, though they don't
stoop quite so fas or from such a height as raptors.

Arran has loads of hares despite having many sheep buzzards, and
eagles. Our last place also had buzzards, sheep and hares. I've never
seen a buzzard even attempt to catch anything as big as a hare, but on
the mainland I've frequently seen poachers hunting them with dogs.

Janet.