Old 01-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

Mike Lyle wrote:

OK, so does anybody know what my Sicilian grandfather (born 1860 if
you can believe it)

Now why shouldn't I believe it? My father was born in 1890.....30 years
to a generation..

Exactly my thought :-) My pa was born in 1889.

I prefer the big white dried butter beans myself, but here is a precis
of Janet Mendel Searl's version: Cook the beans until tender in boiling
water to cover. Drain and puree in blender, sieve to remove skins.
Season with S,P and butter or with chopped garlic fried in oil. Add
chopped ham or bacon. Reheat leftovers with water to make soup. The
puree can also be topped with grated cheese and browned under the
grill.

If you are looking for a different way to cook your fresh BBs, try
this...shell 2 kilos BBs, fry them quite briskly for a minute or two
with 4 (or more) cloves garlic, and 150gm diced, preferably serrano,
ham in about 100ml olive oil. Turn down the heat, then leave them to
stew gently in the oil until tender...about 20 mins. I like it as a
first course, or as a corner filler with a beer when I'm shopping.

Drool...thanks for that.

Janet.