Old 01-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Gary Woods

Pam Moore wrote:

That one's worth a try Gary. I've not grown collards before, so want
to make the best of them.

A sort of amplification: I know "collards" means different things here and
there.... this thread is obviously about the non-heading cabbage grown in
the U.S.- looks exactly like a Brussels Sprout plant without the sprouts.
It's thought of as a southern rural specialty here, though it's quite
hardy, and I do pretty well in northern climes. The leaves can be fairly
tough; those are the ones that are cooked fairly slowly with smoked ham
hocks, etc.... treat as you would any of the bigger greens, and you won't
go wrong.
I grew them several years ago at the urging of a co-worker who considered
collards an essential part of his heritage. Hopefully, I'll give him a bag
full this fall; he's also retired and sadly has some health issues.
Oh, chopped in biggish chunks and parboiled for a few minutes, they freeze
beautifully!