Old 01-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
"Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

We laid a new law about 2 months ago and we have had a few patches of
dead
grass. The patches have a very strong ammonia smell, so strong that
when
you
put your nose near the grass it almost blows your head off..

snip

I have two Dalmatian bitches but generally don't find one wee would kill
the grass at all. It seems to be on areas where dogs consistently widdle
which has the dead patches.
Good job as I would hate to have to ban the dogs from the garden and keep
them off the grass!
Never smelled a strong ammonia smell so perhaps it might be the fox.

Generally once an animal marks / widdles on its territory as puppies do
then the smell makes them go on the same spots as if it's a sort of
mental trigger.

Washing with something that smells equally as strong might help. Jeyes
fluid? After all if the grass is dead a wash with that won't harm the
area!

Does your dog try and go on top of it? Many dogs try and overmark other
animal's smells, especially if they see the area as their own.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Looks like the problem has gone. Our dog was very ill and placed on a drip.
I spoke to the vet and she informed us that the medication she was on would
make her wee very strong. It looks like she was just not with it and using
an area she would not normally use. Since she is getting back on form the
problem has gone away.

The tomato one is a good one, she gets enough of them when she raids the
green house during watering.
Once again thanks for all the advice and help
Steve

The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com