Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Hares are all but extinct (or totally, maybe) on the Isle of Lewis and
Harris because of buzzards.

What makes you think it's due to buzzards?

Observation - the Leodhasaich are out to their flocks a great deal, and
they see - or should I say, 'used to see' the swoop (rather than stoop)
and the stagger-off with a load of hare.

Of course, the golden eagles don't help - well, they don't help the hares...

And the sheep, of course, though they don't
stoop quite so fas or from such a height as raptors.

Arran has loads of hares despite having many sheep buzzards, and
eagles. Our last place also had buzzards, sheep and hares. I've never
seen a buzzard even attempt to catch anything as big as a hare, but on
the mainland I've frequently seen poachers hunting them with dogs.

Coursing isn't exactly a Lewis pastime, and in the years I was there I
never saw a greyhound, a whippet or a lurcher. And I only ever saw one
hare despite being outside pretty nearly all the daylight hours.

The bodaich said that when *THEY* were boys the island was alive with hares.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/