Old 02-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Cereus-validus.....

The name popularly used for the species is the same as the correct
scientific name: Aloe vera

Stop being such a twit.

Just because other people are stupid, that doesn't mean you need to be
stupid too. On the other hand, maybe you do if you are really that insecure?

"Scott Coutts" wrote in message
Cereus-validus..... wrote:
Taxonomy circles?
What's that?
A group of old ladies that sits around doing taxonomy?

Umm... whatever you reckon.

According to the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature, a plant
can have only one correct name.

That doesn't mean that others are not commonly used. You'll find both
listed in most places as synonyms. I think it may actually be an old
scientific name for the plant.

Many plants are sold with the wrong names in the horticultural trade.
That's not taxonomy. That's laziness.

I didnt say it was correct, incorrect, lazy or otherwise. I simply said
that both of them are commonly used, and given that this person was
looking for the plant, then I'd say a commonly used name is better than a
technically correct name.