Old 03-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default What is plant with miniature potatoe flowers/berries

In article ,
William Tasso wrote:
"paul" wrote:
I've found a plant that is very small and has flowers that are basically
miniature potatoe flowers, white on outside and orange/yellow in middle

It porduces berries that look like miniature tomatoes (about the size of
rowan berries) but turn dark purple/black

The leaveas are not unlike potatoes/tomatoes but the plant grows not more
than about 6inches hight

Anyone know what it is and is it poisonous?

You say potato
and I say tomato .... let's call the whole thing ... ?

And I say black nightshade :-)

Apparently, in New Zealand, they make jam from black nightshade.
As I have no good evidence that it is the same species, and the
Solanaceae's berries vary from the edible to the lethal, I am
not going to experiment. I am happy to take risks, of the sort
where I will merely regret my actions for a day or so, but this
is a different class of risk. If you eat a kilo of green tomatoes,
you may get bellyache; if you eat 100 grams of potato fruit, that
would be the least (and last) of your problems.

If anyone has DEFINITE and RELIABLE evidence that Solanum nigrum
has edible berries, I should be interested to hear.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679