Old 02-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Cheryl Rogers

Are you adding any chemicals to lower pH? What is the phospate reading
on your tap water?

Cheryl

Scott Far Thunder wrote:
Hau kolas..

I've been battling black beard and hair algae in a 29 gallon planted
tank for some time now..and basically losing. I've tried to find fish to
control it.. a. splendens, pl*co, CAE all basically ignored it; I've
recently added some SAE that at least nibble on it. I've removed
affected leaves and plants. I've been unable to find a phosphate test
locally, got one through mail-order the other day and the readings from
it are off the chart. the test goes from 0 -10 ppm. so, I'm thinking the
aquarium must be out of balance to have accumulated such a high level of
phosphate and thus the algae. A couple questions..what is the best way
to minimize/eliminate/manage the high level of phosphates now; i.e. add
more plants (are there certain types which utilize phosphate more
readily than others?), chemical media (I'm looking at phosban, any
feedback?), something else, or a combination? And hand-in-hand with
that, the "best" way to manage for phosphate over the long run? Is there
some other nutrient that should be added to enhance phosphate uptake? No
CO2, seachem flourish excel instead; trace elements once a week. kH 6 gh
9 pH 7.0 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5-10ppm nitrates (tap water reads 5 ppm)
65-watt CF lighting 10 hours/day. Tank currently has approx. 20" of
fish-load, and an infestation of MTS (I've pulled about 500 out of there
over the last 8-9 weeks). Live plants are mixture of root and stem
plants medium density. tap water reads approx 0.5ppm phosphate; feeding
tetramin pro tropical crisps (analysis chart says 1.1% minimum
phosphorous - is this high?) twice daily, fish consume immediately. any
suggestions as to what I can do/should do and/or where I've gone wrong
greatly appreciated. TIA

lila pilamaya
--
**FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW**