Old 02-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Pat said:

"FDR" wrote
Pat, sorry to hear your corn problkem. But thanks with helping me with

mine
a few weeks ago. You suggested mounding soil to keep mine from
flopping over and it's worked. Maybe you could try that with yours?

I'm a different Pat than the one you're talking about. I will try mounding
soil at the base of the stalks.

That Pat would be me, and if the corn is completely lain over and ready
to tassle (like mine was after our storm on Thursday)...

Well, I propped mine up with handfuls of compost around the base. (Old
compost that had been worked by worms.)

If you don't have compost, prop them up with soil. (Be gentle.)

I've occasionally had to set posts and run strings back and forth when
a really tall variety got blown down.

The whole corn pollination system works better when the plants are
standing up with the tassles poised above the silks.

(attributed to Don Marti)