Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Cristof

Default Black jewel question

Any ideas on this? It really looks like the one stalk that has pinched
off wants to be repotted, but I don't know the right medium or if I'm
supposed to just bury it as-is or cut it back.

Thanks.

--------------------------------
I have a beautiful black jewel that seems to be doing very well. It just
finished flowering, and has a main growth with two stalks (both with new
growth on them) and 2 new stalks away from the main plant.

My question is that one of the stalks attached to the main growth is
shriveling about 1cm of the stalk near the main growth. It's basically
just dangling now, and seems like it will fall off.

Does this mean it is trying to propagate, or am I doing something wrong?
If it's very happy and is just trying to replant itself someplace else,
what sort of medium should I use (the current stuff looks a lot like
Miracle Grow special aka regular dirt, which seems weird for an orchid).

Many thanks! Cristof