Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

[...]
That sounds more like sparrowhawks. Buzzards are too unwieldy

in
flight to catch small birds on the wing or hopping about in hedges

Definitely buzzards. [...]

[...fascinating stuff anipped...]

Is that behaviour developed ad hoc for particular local conditions,
or could it spread permanently to the entire population? I presume
the former.

Most likely very local. I think that it just shows that they can
learn as well as any other animal~and can take advantage. However, if they
remain totally protected, then those with the least fear will thrive and
predominate.

Many years ago we were taking down two extremely tall poplars near
Neasden and looking up at the far distant tops, as you do. High above
soared a buzzard...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/