Old 02-07-2005, 06:36 PM
jadel

Kenni Judd wrote:
Alan: The ants themselves usually don't harm orchids, but they can be a
sign of other problems. (1) If they are nesting in the pots, chances are
your potting mix is degrading and you are overdue for repotting. (2) Ants
sometimes bring along their "livestock" -- aphids, mealies, etc. -- when
they move into an orchid pot.

Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

I have an Epi. cordigerem hybrid that has just finished blooming. Ants
loved the flowers, apparently harvesting nectar from them. It is the
only orchid of mine they seem attracted to. (I checked for aphids and
mealybugs, none there)

Now that the flowers are finished, the ants have departed. It sort of
reminded me of the connection between ants and peonies.

J. Del Col