Old 03-11-2002, 08:18 PM
Alan Gould

Default Glowworms as biologcal control

In article ,
writes
So, what are folks picking these days, mostly hardy greens? I've got to
freeze a big bunch of Bok Choi, which will be welcome in the gloom of
winter.

We are picking curly kale, brussels sprouts, leaf-beet and cabbage at
present. We seldom freeze any green-stuff because there is usually
something or other available to pick fresh all year round. What we find
surprising is that we have only just cleared our last tomato and pepper
plants out of the greenhouse, having taken the remaining red and green
fruit from them. Even more surprising is that we have autumn raspberries
still ripening outside - though they have not developed any new stems
for next year's crop. A bed of delphiniums which were a breathtaking
sight in summertime seem to have become envious of their Michaelmas
Daisy neighbours, and have decided to break into bloom again. Even a big
clump of outdoor osteospermum doggedly carries on sending out its
lavender coloured flowers, despite several frosty mornings. This is
indeed a late autumn.
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.