Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Reel Mckoi

"PlainBill" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:25:15 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

"Courageous" wrote in message
.. .

Theoretically, and barring aesthetics, one could build a shade canopy

out
of PVC building materials for fairly little $$.

$$ This is true. Aesthetics are not a problem as these pools are behind

the
house. Any shade canopy would have to cover all 8 pools = an area about

16'
wide by about 30' long. My husband is looking into "shade cloth" and

other
options. As warm as the water was the fish didn't seem to mind. The
uncovered tubs of pond plants are going crazy with all the sun and heat.

C//

Have your huband look at the shade cloth available at Home Depot and
Lowes - in the garden center, not the hardware (door) section.

## That's a good idea! Thanks........

It's
available in different sizes. Last time I looked, a 6' x 25' roll
cost $36. Note that you don't have to cover the entire pond, just
covering half will cut down the heat input by 50%.

## That's an excellent idea. I wish we had the time to do it this weekend
(go to Lowe's) and look at their shade cloth. Meanwhile we have old
curtains over the south sides of the pools for shade. The water was 86 to
88 F. We just spent the day emptying the 2000 gallon pond and
sorting/culling all the fish and we're exhausted. We have to repair the
sides that are collapsing and the berm where it's sinking. We hosed and
vacuumed out all the spilled gravel and mulm. We also removed a ton of
rocks from the berm, and loads of heavy overgrown plants..... Once we have
this project done we'll concentrate on the shade for the pools behind the
house.

We found about 8 baby koi in this pond, most are Duitsoi but we can't tell
if they're butterfly koi or not. The smaller pond is now all butterfly koi.
The 2000 gallon one will still be both. All goldfish are being removed.
They're just too prolific for their own good. I'll keep a few of my old
timers in a pool behind the house.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b