Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Hal

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 12:02:48 +0100, "gary smith"
wrote:

The large tadpole looking creature in the wildlife pond is a lot bigger than
the young frogs, so couldn't be related.
Anyone have an idea as to:
What is it?
How could it have got there?

Quote from the web: "The bullfrog is a recent introduction to the UK
and is now resident there."

Bullfrog tadpoles take two years to mature into frogs that are about
2" or bigger at maturity. (Maturity meaning tadpole to frog, they
grow much larger.) They are wanderers and unfortunately don't like
laying eggs in my pond although I've seen frog droppings several years
to indicate I've had visitors, still I have no eggs or tadpoles. I
envy your good fortune and hope you will have one of the brood to come
back occasionally and sing for you and the neighborhood.

I've been told you could raise them in a cage that extends into the
water and feed them and they become quite tame looking forward to a
treat of crickets or meal worms. Once accustomed to such human
contact they are more likely to remain nearby and sing for you. Some
neighbors might complain though.

Regards,

Hal