Old 03-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Corncrake wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:46:11 +0100, "Mike Lyle" wrote:

[...]
Bees-yeast? Educate me, please,

Maybe I should have typed "bees-wine-yeast" ?
A yeast that clumped together in little fuzzy lumps and strings

that
would be in constant motion up and down the jar of liquid usually

be found on a kitchen or pantry windowsill (depending on time of

year
and angle of sunlight)
Fed with a dolop of sugar or syrup from time to time etc, like a
ginger beer plant, split when growing too big and passed on to a
friend (who probably had one already from another friend, so extras
would be thrown away !)

You've helped me with a step toward clarifying something I read in a
sixties cookery book I sadly no longer have, so can't give the title.
The author was describing a friend's kitchen, and referred to a
demijohn of "bee wine" on the windowsill, with, s/he said, a dead bee
going up and down in it. Have you got more detail?

(Was it Katherine Whitehorn's _Cooking in a Bedsitter_ ? How we've
travelled on since then!)

O Guru.

Dunno bout that !

If you can answer the question, I think you'll have earned the title!

--
Mike.