Old 04-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Victoria Clare

Default leaves and small black flies

"Amber" wrote in
:

Giving the compost a mulch of fine gravel over the top works for me.
They only live in the top few millimeters of soil, and if they can't
get to that, they can't breed.

Last night I gritted the plants as suguested, including one that seems
to have picked up a few flies from being near to the originally
infected plants. This second plant I had in a tub of water to water it
and this am the water is a fly graveyard. I have now moved all the
infected plants into the bath with water as these seem to travel far
and with only one room to over Winter plants I can do without these
spreading. I am presuming that with the mint I need to try and get as
much grit all under the plant esp in the bit thats all spready?

The idea is to cover all the compost - or at least, as much as you can.
Keeping the plants a bit drier than usual is also a good idea, and in
winter is often a good thing to do anyway.

Victoria