Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Robert Kieffer

Sue Marsh wrote:

anybody ever raised this from seeds? I planted 7 seeds a week ago and
not one has decided to show its head yet! Am hoping they just have a
long germination. Any hints/tips/advice on this species? Thanks!

Susan L. Marsh
www.susanszoocrew.com

I started 5 seeds in the spring, and 3 germinated and grew. I generally
followed the procedures outlines in the following website:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/

which is a good ginkgo reference in general.

After leaving the seeds outside during the winter (zone 6) I brought
them in and cleaned them with a weak bleach solution and then scoured
the shells to allow water to permeate more easily. I then put them in a
ziplock type bag with a small piece of papertowel. I left them in a
dark place and checked them daily. I think it was about 2-3 weeks until
the meristem was big enough that I put them in a pot.

It may be that you can do them in dirt, I did not try that.

But as far as you are, a week is still a pretty short time. I wouldn't
worry.

I think that sticking them in pots initially maybe decreases the
openness of the branch conformation relative to a few that were growing
wild that I found. However, concurrently, I think that maybe it retards
the growth of the trunk, which may be a bad thing.

Robert the Bearded.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++