Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Elphaba

Default Is there an Entymologist in the house?

I now have the nutrition problem solved with my two hybrid tea rose
bushes, a Blue Girl and a Memorial Day, now I have bug problems.

My Memorial Day is bursting with new growth, all those light green
leaves have sprung up since June 11th:
http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/memday.jpg

And a closeup of the petal browning:
http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/newflower.jpg

This morning I clipped the bud that's open in the picture and I set it
in a vase. Well, at first I thought the browning on the petals was a
residual nutrition issue, but I got to researching on the web. I
thought it might of been thrips, but when I saw the underside of the
leaves, there were several aphids. (Some of the new leaf growth is
curling too.) I went to a local nursery and was pointed at
ferti*lome's Triple Action Plus. (70% neem oil) I've thoroughly
inspected and sprayed the undersides of the leaves of both bushes.

My remaining insect issue is ants and another bug I can't seem to
identify. Since I started mixing Rose-Tone and Hu-More (both contain
manure) into the soil at the base of my roses, the ants have come
back. They also brought guests with them, some bugs that look similar
to ants but with clear wings the length of their bodies. They are no
bigger than your common black ant. It's hard to make out any further
details as I see them in the soil. Their movements are the most
visible when I disturb the soil.

I've tried Sevin spray, Schultz three in one, Schultz rose insect
spray, Hot Shot indoor/outdoor spray, triazide granules.. all of this
since I started my garden back in April. I just can't seem to control
the problem. It would also help if my property management would spray
for insects, but they won't do it.

Are there any suggestions out there before I wind up taking a soil
sample to my local nursery? Unfortunately, the only pictures that will
show up well are those of the plant. I'm not sure if aphids alone are
presenting this so far, slight damage.

http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/brownbud.jpg
http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/leafcurl.jpg
http://www.dancinman.com/~sirius/mygarden/leafcurl2.jpg